Salt dough is an easy dough to make and to work with. However there are things you can do to help you get the best results from your handiwork and to ensure it continues to look good for many years ahead.
Here are our top 10 tips and tricks:
1. Salt dough shrinks after drying, so create your pieces about one-fifth bigger for perfect results.
2. The colors mixed in the dough will look lighter than the color in your finished, dried piece.
3. When working on fine details such as flowers, keep your nails cut short or they can leave an unwanted impression on the dough.
4. Greasing the blades of scissors will help to cleanly cut small pieces of dough.
5. Small pieces of salt dough such as flowers and leaves will dry overnight. Larger pieces such as roses, thick flowers and jewelry will take up to 24 hours to completely dry.
6. Use toothpicks, a darning needle or sewing needles to add decorative impressions on your dough.
7. To make a salt dough rose to use in a design, first create a central bud. Then cut wire to the desired length plus half an inch more. On one end of the wire, apply some glue. Insert the glued-end into the bud from the bottom side in the middle passing about half the length of bud. Place the bud on a piece of sponge or foam to dry. When the bud has completely dried, make three small petals and stick them to bud with the help of glue. Once these have dried you have a small rose bud, or you can add five large petals and glue them to create a rose bloom.
8. To make another style of salt dough flower, such as a daisy, join the petals to the central part using glue and let the flowers dry upside-down on sponge or foam.
9. Use decorative paper-clips to create a charming chain bracelet or hook on which to glue your salt dough designs.
10. If you have toddlers and preschoolers who are impatient with the long drying times, place the salt dough in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time, checking each time that they are not over-cooking, which can cause the salt dough to bubble and within three minutes they should be dried and ready to decorate.